Demi Lovato’s Mom Revealed What Happened On The Day Of Her Overdose

Demi Lovato, actress and singer, was unfortunately hospitalized in July for an overdose. After reports broke, rumors were floating around of what she had taken and what would happen to her, her tour, and her career.
After she was released from the hospital, Lovato revealed she would be taking time off to enter rehab and focus on her sobriety and mental health.

Demi Lovato’s mother, Dianna DeLaGarza, was by her daughter’s side in the hospital–but, had to hear the news about what happened through text messages and social media at first. Imagine being a mother and finding this out about your child; it’s terrifying.

View this post on Instagram

For you, @krystinagrantray !!

A post shared by Dianna De La Garza (@diannadelagarza) on

Now, Lovato’s mother is opening up for the first time about what actually happened that day. In an interview, she said she was getting an influx of text messages from people saying they were praying for Demi and they were so sorry for what was happening. She had not seen the news, nor heard anything, and had no idea what was happening.

Before I could get to TMZ to see what they were reporting, I got a phone call from Demi’s assistant at the time, Kelsey. My oldest daughter, Dallas, was standing next to me. I remember I hadn’t even had a chance to say anything to her. I looked at her and said, ‘Kelsey’s calling me.’ She had no idea what I was seeing on my phone.

She said:

I answered  the phone and Kelsey was rambling, like she had obviously been through something terrible. She said, ‘I need to tell you something. You’re going to see a report come out — well it’s already come out.’ I stopped her and said ‘Kelsey, tell me what’s going on.’ And the next words that came out of her mouth are words that just are so difficult to hear as a parent. She said, ‘Demi overdosed.’

Obviously, she was in complete shock.

I was in shock. I didn’t know what to say. It’s something that I never, ever expected to hear as as parent about any of my kids. I hesitated to ask, I said, ‘Is she ok?’ She stopped for a second and said, ‘She’s conscious, but she’s not talking.’ I knew at that point we were in trouble.

I said:  ‘Where is she?’ She said, ‘She’s at Cedar-Sinai Hospital.’ I said, ‘I’ll be right there.’ I hung up the phone, and Dallas was looking at me and said, ‘What’s going on?’ I said, ‘Demi has overdosed. We need to get to the hospital and I don’t think I can drive.’ Dallas said, ‘It’s ok. I got you, Mom. Let me get my keys. I’ll drive us.”

When she arrived at the hospital, she said Demi was in ‘bad shape.’

She just didn’t look good at all. She was in bad shape. I said to her, ‘Demi, I’m here. I love you.’ At that point, she said back to me, ‘I love you too.’

She said that for two whole days, they were unsure if Demi would make it.

I feel like the reason she’s alive today is because of the millions of prayers that went up that day. I don’t think she’d be here if hadn’t been for those prayers and the good doctors at Cedars-Sinai.

Additionally, she added that Demi is doing so well now.

“I can honestly say today that she is doing really well. She’s happy, she’s healthy, she’s working on her sobriety. She’s getting the help she needs.”

We’re so glad to hear Demi is doing better and getting the help she needed. Prayers to her and her family.